Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Eating Disorders Are NOT Unique

I had a meeting with my therapist today and she said this, "PJ, your eating disorder is not unique."

This made me really think. It's not unique. Thousands suffer every day through eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating, and EDNOS(Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified). So it's not a "unique" thing to have.

What she was getting at was that identifying myself as "PJ- The Bulimic" does not really portray ME. It does not state what my values or morals are. It cannot define me. The unique qualities that I do have are what make me, ME. What I should identify myself as should be a unique reflection of who I am.

Such as:

"PJ-The Thoughtful"
"PJ-The Fun Person"
"PJ-The Friend"

Even having a hobby or talent could be my identifier. Granted I don't have any hobbies outside of "the boss" at this point. But this is something I'm learning. I don't want to be "PJ-The Bulimic" any more than I would want to be "PJ-The Nothing."

I'm not Nothing, I am not Something, I am Someone. And this Someone wants to be better. This Someone wants to make the world a better place. This Someone wants to be free of the chains that bind her.

So, Take that ED! You are NOT Unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment